See here for the Danish version :-)
Zimtsterne/ Cinnamon Stars
(from 150 Rezepte, Advents-Backstube 04/12)
Approx. 40 cookies
3 egg whites
250 grams icing sugar + extra for rollinf
1 tsp. vanilla sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
125 grams almond flour (ground almonds)
200 grams hazelnut flour (ground hazelnuts)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F./ 150 degress C.
Prepare 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Sieve in the icing sugar and fold it into the egg whites.
- Put 10 tbsp. in a bowl, set aside for later.
- Add cinnamon, almond flour and hazelnut flout to the egg white mixture and mix it together.
- Sprinkle your work-surface with icing sugar, roll out the dough 0.5 cm/ 0.2 inch thickness.
- Use a star-shaped cookie cutter and cut out stars. The dough can be pretty sticky, so make sure to use plenty of icing sugar.
- Place the stars on the baking sheets. Brush the cookies with the egg-white mixture you set aside earlier. *If the mixture seems too thin, mix in 1 tbsp. of icing sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to cookie rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Store in air-tight container.
De rise a lot in the oven.
|Zimsterne & Vanillekipferl|
- Mix the sugar with the vanilla seeds.
- Set 70 grams aside for later.
- Mix the vanilla-sugar mixture with flour, butter, almond flour and salt.
- Knead it together to a smooth dough.
- Roll it to a ball, wrap it in plastic wrapper and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degress F. / 180 degrees C. Prepare 4 bakings sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, roll it to a bars/sticks and cut into 55 pieces.
- Roll and shape to a "horseshoe" - look at the picture below.
- Take a piece of dough.
- Roll to a stick, best to use both hands, so it will be thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges
- Take the ends and shape them towards each other, to create the horseshoe shape.
- Voila - a horseshoe - kipferl - crescent :-)
- Place them on the baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool in the baking sheet for a couple of minutes. *! DON'T remove them from the baking sheet within the first minutes, - they will break. They are really fragile whilst still hot.
- After de have cooled down, - but still warm, turn them in the vanilla sugar you put aside earlier.
- If there isn't enough vanilla sugar, mix 4 tbsp. of sugar with 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
- Let cool completely, - store in airtight container.