There is a reason why people in Denmark buy, eat and bake them each year around Christmas time. I used "Lagkagehuset's" (danish bakery) recipe, and yeah, they turned out amazing, like always.
I halved the recipe since I didn't want to bake too many, but since they are pretty small and disappear fast, you might want to double the recipe :-)
Peppernuts - Pebernødder - Pfeffernüsse
(Lagkagehusets recipe)Around 150 small cookies
125 grams / 1/2 cup unsalted softened butter (salted works ok though)
125 grams / 1 cup + 1 tbsp. sugar (white or cane)
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. white pepper (can use black - white is the best though)
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 dL / 0.2 cups cream (or milk)
250 grams / 2 cups white unbleached flour
Preheat the oven on 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C.
- Prepare 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk/Stir together butter and sugar.
- Mix flour with spices, baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix flour mixture with butter and cream. Knead the dough together, it will come together almost like a bread dough.
- Roll the dough out to long bars/sticks, approx. the size of the little finger and cut in 0.5 inch/1 cm slices.
- Place the cookies on the baking sheet, with 0.5 inch/1 cm distance between each.
- Bake around 10 minutes, the cookies have to be light brown.
- Cool on cookie rack. - When the cookies have cooled off, store in airtight container.